Friday, December 31, 2010

Looking through my dog's eyes (first approach)

Hello, it's been a long time, but I didn't have something interesting to tell, I've been reading about ontological Engineering which is not something very exciting for everyone. 

I did this last month, and never improved it, so I decided that I could show you something without being completed. I was kind of boring and was thinking about how my dogs can see (as you can see, I live like a  rock star). I mean, do they seen in black and white?, do they see colors? how is their perspective of the world?, well, I participate on a forum about dogs (I have a bullmastiff) and one guy talked about this topic once. He posted these images.

The first one is the human vision, and the second one is the dog vision. If we consider that this is true.... Let's start doing a first analysis (this is a very simple analysis, I'll do some frequency analysis in the future to complete this) ... Let's separate all the color channels:


For the humans:


For dogs:


The first interesting thing is that the Red channel is quite similar to the Green channel for the dogs.
This is the comparison between human channels and dog channels, (red, green, blue respectively)

  

As we can see, the dog curve for the green channel is quite similar to the human curve.


These are the frequency comparison (red, green, blue):




So with this first analysis (a very simple one), I wrote a js script that converts any "human" image into a "dog image".

NOTE: I repeat, this is a first approximation, I need to improve the filter for the red and green channels. You need a brower that supports HTML5 (chrome, Firefox, IE 8). I tested it with PNGs, JPGs and bmps. Other format might not work.














2 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Searching for more info about color vision in dogs (it seems very similar to human deuteranope vision [1]) I found that there is some evidence of human tetrachromacy! [2]

    [1] http://www.neitzvision.com/images/cvdog.pdf
    [2] http://aris.ss.uci.edu/~kjameson/jamesonOUP3.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mchouza!, Unfortunately I haven't done the frequency analysis, I should make some time and finish it.

    Thanks for the links! I'll probably comment them among my dog-breeders friends! So I can look smarter, jajaj

    ReplyDelete